Freitag, 20. November 2015

Review: Solitaire by Alice Oseman







Solitaire by Alice Oseman
Series: Solitaire #1 (Standalone?)
Released: July 31st, 2014
Pages: 400
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3.5 / 5

Link: Goodreads






My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now.

Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden.

I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden.

I really don’t.


That's the blurb of Solitaire, I really don't think you should know more before reading this novel. Maybe except of, it's about a typical teenager, with problems, that you will find yourself remembering you had too, or you have right now, because you are the same age as Tori (if so, it will get better, I promise ;)). The book has a sader vibe to it, with occasionally funny bits. It's a growing up thing!

I have the feeling, that if I was ten years younger, that book would describe my teenage years. I know a lot of people find Tori annoying and I can totally see why, but I did relate to her in a way which made me care for her a lot. She is a teenager. Of course she is depressed and obsessive and thinks the weirdest things. I know I did that too. Ten years ago instead of Blogs and Facebook, Myspace and Chatting were the big things. You didn't belong if you weren't online on MSN Messanger or ICQ all the time, and you were broke again right after you got your pocket money for this month, because you had to pay for your SMS. So I totally get Tori because growing up and being a teenager in my opinion totally sucks.

But I liked how Tori developed as a person during this novel but also stayed true to herself. 

After the first few chapters I just had two concerns, and I hope to keep this spoiler free for you this time. 
1. Michael Holden is either a stalker or this is going to be like Fight Club (read the book or watch the movie, both are awesome ;)).
2. The illness of her brother Charlie is going to be the main plot line of this book.

But Alice Oseman proved me wrong. Although I don't really understand why Michael tried so hard to be her friend in the beginning, I liked him more and more throughout the book. You just got to love the weird kid. And Charlie's illness, it just felt right. Some people have problems but they also have siblings, and they care, but they also need to live their own life with their own struggles. 

Overall 3.5 out of 5 stars on Goodreads still feels like the best rating for me. I would totally recommend this book, but only to people who would understand, the others will find it annoying because that is just the way self-centered teenagers are. I know, because I was one of them ;).

Hope you find this review helpful.

Until next time,
Katharina

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen