Dienstag, 17. November 2015

Review: The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman






The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
Series: The Invisible Library (#1)
Released: January 15th, 2015
Pages: 329
Source: Birthday Gift / Purchased
Rating: 4.5 / 5

Link: Goodreads







Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, which harvests books from different realities. She and her new assistant Kai, are posted on a mission to an alternative London. Their mission - to retrieve a dangerous book. But when they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions seem prepared to fight to the very death to find her book. Adding to the jeopardy, this world is chaos-infested - the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic. Irene's new assistant is also hiding secrets of his own.
Soon, she's up to her eyebrows in a heady mix of danger, clues and secret societies. Yet failure is not an option - the nature of reality itself is at stake
.

I got this book as a surprise for my birthday in October. I haven't heard of it before and started reading right away. I just wanted to read the first chapter, but I got sucked into this world. So I basically flew threw this book. The world is super interesting! There are alternating universes but Irene and her assistant get send into a Steampunk London. Steampunk! I love it! I don't know when this obsession started but I love reading action stories set in this fictional time period. 

The Invisible Library is an action packed, fast paced, detective story who fans of Sherlock Holmes, especially the current BBC series, will enjoy, I promise. The book doesn't feature a typical love interest subplot like you would find in so many YA novels at the moment, but you get the sense that in the future there might be something more between two characters.
This book is part one in what I believe will be a trilogy with the second book 'The Masked City' coming out on December 3rd 2015 (already on my personal wishlist for Christmas!).
I know many of my friends prefer reading the german version of books, so 'The Invisible Library' will come out on December 10th 2015 in German. Keep your eyes open for 'Die unsichtbare Bibliothek' people!! ;)

Now to the spoilery part, so if you are intrigued and want to read this book leave now and come back later to discuss this part with me! ;)

Go now, non spoilery people!

Are we good? Ok, so here are my thoughts, I don't think that the chaos/order thing and the presence of magical creature would have been really necessary for the book. I had some problems with the concept of that, I have to admit, so this was what hold me back from giving this book five out of five stars. But maybe this set up will get more important and if so, better explained in the next book. The concept of alternating worlds is really cool, I definitely am super excited to learn more about that. I hope we can find out more about the real reason the library is collecting those books because my theory is that Irene is right and there is in fact a secret society in the library that supports Alberich. But what do they want then? It must have something to do with the family tree. Which leads me to my next point. Is it possible that Irene might be the daughter of Alberichs sister? I kind of get that feeling. She is the only one who was born in the library and doesn't have the best relationship with her parents. Also the way Coopelia acted near the end was very suspicious. What do you think? At some point, maybe in the next book, Irene and Kai definitely will get together, because you can't deny the chemistry between them.
Last theory for the next book: Alberich will find a way back in this alternating universe and is going after Irene. And there will be a masked ball at Silvers ;D.
What are your theories? Let me know. :)

Katharina

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen